Monday, March 17, 2014

A Book Lovin' Party: What are you Reading?

I LOVE Amanda's Book Lovin' Linky party idea. It's always fun to see what everyone else is reading aloud with their kiddos.


Like Amanda, my First graders have become very bored with what they call "little books" and want more chapter books for read alouds. They like that it is a story that can last for days and sometimes a few weeks. It always leads to amazing conversations and I can use the read alouds to come up with pretty awesome journal prompts too.

Here are just a few of my favorite chapter book read alouds:

This first one, Daisy Dawson and the Secret Pond is part of the Daisy Dawson series. My students loved this book because Daisy can talk to animals and along with her animal friends, she goes on lots of adventures!

This is the first year EVER I have read a Junie B. book to my class. It took me a long time to warm up to them because of Junie's sass. However, my students LOVE them, and I find a lot of teachable moments when we stop to talk about her behavior. I read this one to my kiddos in February :)


This is an oldie but goodie :) 
The Elevator Family is such a funny and heartwarming story about a very odd, but sweet family that move into an elevator during their stay at a hotel. My class loves this one EVERY YEAR!


And, last, but NOT LEAST...one of my personal favorites...Gooney Bird Greene!
This is the perfect book to use if you are beginning a study on personal narratives and it has some amazing vocabulary in it to discuss too. 


I can't wait to see what books you link up over on Amanda's blog. TO see what everyone else shares, just click the BOOK LOVIN' button up top!



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up, Marie! I love all of your suggestions...especially Gooney Bird! Have you read all of them? My kids eat them up and they each teach about a different writing genre - perfection! I've never read The Elevator Family, so I'll have to look for it. Don't you just love when they start craving those BIG books??


    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even read a Junie B book! I'll have to get on that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Through a series of hops on Instagram, I found your blog!

    I'm starting the Mercy Watson series with my kindergartners next week. I'll try to join in on Monday's link.
    :-)Chrissy ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...