Monday, February 17, 2014

Goodbye Valentine's...February ideas

I know Valentine's day is over and we are heading towards the end of February, but I wanted to go back and share what I did with my class last week. I thought about skipping this post because ya'll are done with V-day, but then I thought, "Hey, maybe they are like me and will pin ideas for NEXT Valentine's day." :)

So, here are some things that we did in class to get us in the spirit of caring, sharing, and kindness for Valentine's day:

First up, this is one of my favorite books to read. I love the different messages he creates for each of his classmates, but I really like the lesson it teaches about always being kind with your words. 
After reading the book, I have my students draw a name from a hat and they have to create a valentine for that person. It is always fun because sometimes boys get girls' names and vice versa. The messages they wrote this year were priceless! AND, they worked for about 30 minutes in COMPLETE silence on these....they were truly working hard on them! :)

 I also made each student in my class a Valentine's heart. On Monday morning they walked into my classroom with these hearts stapled ALL over the walls. :) It was a "heart attack" of love. It was so exciting to watch them find their heart to read. They loved them and their parents thought it was super sweet too.

In math class, as most of you probably did, we used our Conversation hearts for some graphing and adding. :) I cannot stand the taste of these candies, but they are always a great manipulative for math!

 And...because I love letting my Firsties get crafty, we made tissue paper hearts to line our bulletin board in the hallway...


This is something I made for their writing time....it's sort of like a squiggle story where they have to turn the shape into something else...they had some great ideas. A few of my favorites were an owl, a house, and a dinosaur. 

This is an idea I came up with, but then didn't have time for the kids to actually do...lol...this is my example. I was going to have the class come up with their own words that reminded them of Valentine's day to write around their handprints.

 These were a few of the gifts I got from students....proof that my parents spend as much (or more) time on Pinterest as I do! I loved them!



Happy Late Valentine's day ya'll! I hope you can use some of these ideas next year! :)


3 comments:

  1. Oh my! How I love that soap Valentine! How cute is that and your heart craft! I loved the ideas and you inspired me to post my ideas, too! Thanks for sharing these great ideas, my lovely!!

    Love always!
    Leslie
    First Grade and Flip Flops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment Leslie! Glad I could inspire you.

      Delete
  2. Hey! I'm glad you posted this because I just got that "Roses are pink..." book from the interlibrary loan today so I still want to read it with my students. Instead of making Valentine's for each other, the kids could make Compliment Cards or maybe some other creation I think of. Thanks for sharing your creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...