Sunday, July 28, 2013

Someone New Sunday and Happy Birthday to Me! :)

Today is Sunday, so it's time to meet someone new!

It is also my BIRTHDAY!! :) I've already posted a couple of fun freebies on my FB fan page, but please be sure you are following my fan page to see more freebies and sales! :) I will be posting at least ONE fun freebie/flash freebie/sale item per day. 

Now, let's get this party started :)

Meet Jennifer


Jennifer has a very unique perspective going on over at her blog and although she is very new to blogging, she has some great teaching experience! 

Here are Jennifer's answers to my Q&A:


1. You are a huge supporter of the flipped classroom. Can you tell us all a little bit about that?
Flipped classrooms are an innovative approach of redesigning instruction to create 21st century learners.. Flipping a classroom is basically about flipping your instruction to create more in-class time for teachers and students to collaboratively work together.  What you would normally teach as your focus concept (whole group instruction at the elementary level) you do in a short, targeted video that students watch for homework.  The key to this is that it is only done a few times a week and that the videos are short enough to deliver the targeted instruction.  They kids love having their teacher come to their house to teach them.  I'm their personal tutor.   :)    Parents also like the fact that it makes my classroom very transparent and that they can talk the same educational lingo that I do when helping their children.  The students come prepared for class the next day with an understanding of the concept.  Based on this, you can easily differentiate learning in small groups and create extra time in class to have collaborative real world problem solving going on.  Flipping doesn't take the place of teaching, it just allows me to differentiate and go deeper into concepts and catch any student misconceptions before they form.   I have become more of a  facilitator in my classroom coaching children through their own thinking processes.

2. How long have you been teaching, and what grades have you taught?
This will be my 15th year teaching.   I've taught a 2/3 combination class, second, third, fourth, and fifth grades.   I started my career as a third grade teacher and have found my way back.   I love third graders!

3. What was the last thing you bought for yourself, just for fun?
That would probably be a digital camera I bought to take pictures of my family.   However, I can't seem to find time to get the 1500 pictures off the disc.  :)

4. Target or Wal-Mart?
Tough one....Target for most things but Wal-Mart for others. 
 
5. What is one of your current favorite songs?
I think one of my most favorites is Jesus Take the Wheel by Carrie Underwood.   I just love her and I love the message she is sending through that song.

6. Give us 3 adjectives to describe you:
Perfectionist
Hard-working
Playful

 
7. What are your links? We'd love to visit you!
I'm new to the blogging world so I would love for you to stop in and visit my flipped classroom blog.  It's my way of documenting this process and how it all fits into the elementary world of common core.  I have a small TPT store that I also just started.  I hope to add more to it this year.
 




4 comments:

  1. Loved reading about your Sunday Someone New. I have heard about flipped classrooms but I have not idea really what it is. I'm interested to read some of her posts about her classroom and how she runs it. Thanks for your awesome work and introducing new bloggers to us.
    Tammy

    Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Marie, hope you had a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!!!!!

    jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love meeting someone new on Sundays. Thanks so much for these posts and helping to connect teachers who would not meet otherwise!
    I like reading about other people's experiences with Flipped Classrooms. I do a rotation version of blended learning... it's kind of like flipping your classroom, but while the students are still at school. I teach in a very economically disadvantaged area and many of our families just don't have access to getting online at home. Blended learning is using your own teaching videos or other people's, such as Kahn Academy, and/or online games and practice in a small group setting to influence the teacher's small group lesson and assess what the students need next. Interesting stuff!
    Happy Birthday!

    Sara
    mrsburrell.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...