Thursday, June 13, 2013

Teach Like a Pirate Book Study: Sex and Teaching???

Did I get your attention with that title???
Now that you're here, I have a question for you.

Aaaargh you a pirate?


Have you heard about this fun SUMMER BOOK STUDY?? 

If you missed the First chapter, you can check it out by reading Greg's post from Tuesday. He posted all about Chapter 1. Smedley's Smorgasboard: Teach Like a Pirate post 

I am not sure about the rest of you, but I have to admit...it is RARE that I read teacher/teaching books on my off time. I just need a BREAK sometimes, you know?
But, Dave Burgess is an incredible writer and has a way of writing like he's a close teacher friend of yours just chatting over lunch. 

I am loving his book Teach Like a Pirate. If you haven't seen it yet, you can check it out here in Amazon:

Chapter one was great, but I have to say, Chapter 2 (Immersion) really caught my attention. Dave starts the chapter by basically saying that complete immersion can make you a better teacher...and a better lover. I couldn't agree more! LOL

Anyone who can put those two topics in the same paragraph is a winner in my book!

But, on a more serious note, I really do love the way he talks about just getting in there and "being in the moment" with your students.

Dave says, "I’m suggesting that when delivering first instruction, especially to struggling learners, you need to leave the comfort of the lounge chair or lifeguard tower and jump into the water with your students."

Have you ever been teaching something that you just weren't that "into"? Or, have you ever walked into your classroom with other things on your mind and just been distracted? Have you ever been content standing on the sidelines or as Dave said, sitting in the "lifeguard tower"? Your students WILL notice when you aren't fully immersed in the lessons, discussions, or activities.

Some educators may wonder: 
How am I supposed to be fully immersed in all of these activities and make every lesson so that I will want to be immersed with my students? How can I do this when I have all of this material I need to cover so my students will score well on the big test?

Well, I think Dave says it best when he closes his chapter. In that last section of Chapter 2 he said this:



I hope you'll let me know your thoughts...Have you read this yet? Are you reading it now? 

Do you consider yourself someone who gets in there and is FULLY immersed? 
And be sure you go check out the other posts on this book. Just click the button at the top of this post!

Credits/Citing:
Burgess, Dave (2012-10-22). Teach Like a PIRATE: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator (Kindle Locations 299-300). Dave Burgess Consulting, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 



22 comments:

  1. I used that quote too! I really think Dave needs to go present to the lawmakers!!
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! He would be a great person to talk some sense into them!

      Delete
  2. This was a great chapter...and a really GREAT summary of the thinking that you did throughout! I would describe myself as fairly immersed in teaching, but there have been quite a few distractions this year that have made it kind if a tough year. Learning how to shift to CC was tough...especially with firsties. There seems to be very little info on how to achieve mastery of the prescribed tasks in a developmentally appropriate way. There is so much out there for 2-12. So, to quell my anxiety about this challenge, I redoubled my efforts to teach myself. I really do feel so much better now than I did a year ago. It is my hope that another year of immersion in first will really give me a better foundation in this new wave of teaching! Thanks for a great post!!
    XOXO,
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, I love this....I feel the same way. I'm normally pretty immersed, but with CC I know that my head has been elsewhere at times and I feel like some of my lessons are scattered because I'm trying to tweak and change and make more CC connections to old themes....BUT, I'm going to work on it! :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I just ordered the book (after all the hype in blogland!) and I loved reading your take on Chapter 2. Thanks so much for your insight!
    Tori
    Tori's Teacher Tips

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your summary. I have posted my thoughts on my blog and I am adding a link to your page. Please feel free to go,check it out.

    Nicole
    www.teachstitchandparent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll have to check out your post too!

      Delete
  5. This really hit home for me. I've been teaching for 14 years and definitely do not feel immersed sometimes. Got a new principal this year and spend more time worrying about what she thought rather than what my kids needed. Reading this book is a wonderful wake-up call for me! Immersion will be my key word for the 2013-14 year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excited to start reading this book! I have to catch up, but I'm thrilled you're doing this book study. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok you hooked me... I used your link to go and buy it... and I am super excited I have prime because it will be here FAST!!!! yay... thanks so much for a great synopsis... and your LOOKY LOU is up and running... I hope it brings you lots of traffic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) YAY! So glad you are getting the book. It really is amazing! :)

      And, thanks for letting me know about the Looky Lou! :) On my way to see it now! :)
      Marie

      Delete
  8. Hi Marie! Thanks for hosting Chapter 2! I love your title...way to hook them in. The quote you chose is one of the one's I'm most passionate about. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts throughout the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, so honored to have you comment! :) I am loving your book, and really just love the way you write. Thanks for all of the insight! I'm looking forward to putting what I've gained into action this coming school year.

      Marie

      Delete
  9. I've been reading Teach Like a Pirate on my kindle. I agree...you can't miss those moments where you know it is more important to just "go there" with your kids. My entire year with our reading series book selections (hate our Reading Street 2008 books) was a "jump ship" year! Every time I read the book (required reading) to my whole group, I would lead my students on a video "dive" to places on the internet that further helped us learn about the vocabulary in the books. This helped us to make decisions during writer's workshop, and helped us to pick books within a genre we were particularly excited about. I just can't follow a scripted curriculum when that means kids staring at me from the abyss. I am loving reading this book! It really validates what I believe to be true: Kids are kids. They love having fun. Fun helps learning to stick. Therefore, if an activity isn't enjoyable or interesting, it will not be remembered!
    Maggie
    Maggie's Kinder Corner

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this book earlier this year. I think I'm a pretty immersed teacher most of the time, but since reading TLAP I would find myself putting paperwork down and sitting on the floor with my kids more often during partner reading. That's such an easy time to catch up on a few non-teaching things. I fought that urge and got to listen to some great little readers. :) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read this one yet, but your post about the first two chapters has left me eager to check it out! I think I'll have to add it to my list of must-reads! LOVE the quote you chose to feature here. It seems like so many educators today are faced with this debate in teaching: tests vs. kids. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a MUST read for all educators for sure! :) Thanks so much for commenting. I am glad you found a new book to read!

      Delete
  13. I have found myself this past school year not at as immersed as I usually am in the classroom. I moved schools and grade levels. I found myself just trying to stay above water (16 years seasoned) and live up to my reputation of being a great educator. I'm now going back to Kinder and know this book will remind me and assist me with immersing myself with the little ones. I also related with Dave on being immersed with your own children. There are times you need to step away from your work and immerse yourself in family, which in turn strengthens your passion in all areas of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Shannon! It happens I think, when you've been teaching a while. I am going to make a better effort to IMMERSE myself every day this year. :)

      Delete
  14. I am getting a late start with this book due to my vacation. But I wanted to share my thoughts. My husband teaches 5th grade and does an amazing job at immersion with his students. They LOVE him even before they are in his class. Immersion will be one of my big goals for the upcoming school year. I am going back to teaching kindergarten where I have the most experience. This past year was stressful because of our new evaluation and portfolio we had to put together. I hope to relax more this year and just teach and learn with my kids.

    Christin
    Shifting Teacher K-2

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...