Thursday, May 2, 2013

Ocean Life: Kelp Forests and Sea Turtles!

So...have you seen this poster in Pinterest or FB before?

This happened to me for the first time in my 3rd year of teaching...I'm now in my 8th year and it happens quite often.

Today, for example, I had intended on showing a short video clip on Sea Otters and my class was just AMAZED with the Kelp...They wanted to know more about it....and so....
WE VEERED....

This sharp turn took us straight into an afternoon of group and partner research with books in our class, as well as a new addition to our classroom.

We made our very own KELP FOREST!

The kids were SO excited...anytime they can help "plan" the lessons, they are just on a whole 'nother level of ENGAGED!

Check them out and check out our new Kelp Forest!

This is one of the books I pulled out...I actually had a set of 5 of these! Great pics and info!






Different groups were in charge of different things...all groups had to cut out green STIPES (stems)....then one group researched OTTERS and Kelp. They had to find 5 interesting facts about sea otters in relation to Kelp.

One group had to find 5 different animals that live in kelp Forest and draw/color them. 

One group found Kelp Forest facts and wrote them on little fronds (leaves).

One group was in charge of making all the holdfasts (the part that anchors the kelp into the rocks of the ocean floor).

And, lastly...one group was in charge of making all the labels for the Kelp Forest!

All in all...I'd say this was a VERY productive afternoon! 

Oh, and, I just have to share these too! We make them every year, and they are ALWAYS cute! :) Last year we painted them...this year we colored them and cut out brown spots for the shells. 




And, if you haven't seen it yet, I hope you'll check out my newest product...My Non-Fiction Oceans packet!






3 comments:

  1. So cute Maria! I love studying the ocean...looks like your kids had a blast. xoxo
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magic!
    Well done you; I bet your kids will remember this for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those teachable moments! Good for you for going with it Marie. Your packet looks fabulous too:)

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...