Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Telling Time Freebie and Fun with HOOLA HOOPS!

Before I start tonight's post, I have to share with you all my new little MINI ME!!!
Is this not adorable!??!!? I showed it to the hubby and he said, "WOW, that's good!" She even included my FAVORITE...Dunkin Donut's iced coffee!!!
A HUGE thank you goes out to the artist who made this little cutie for me,
Crystal, AKA The Library Fox!

NOW, for the sake of time (teehee), let's talk about TIME...

My class has just finished up our unit on Measurement and within that, of course, we study telling time.

One of the most fun activities we did was use HOOLA HOOPS to create big floor clocks. I explained to students how clocks could be divided into four pieces and that can help you decide where to put the first four numbers when drawing a clock....12 on top, 6 on bottom, 3 to the right, and 9 to the left.

I put my math class in small groups, gave them a hoola hoop, sticky notes, markers, and construction paper, and then, I SAT BACK AND WATCHED!
The amount of problem solving and teamwork that went into the activity blew my mind. A task I thought would be very simple, turned into great discussions between my little ones and I saw lightbulbs coming on all over the room!



After they were all satisfied with their clocks, I gave them different times to show to the hour and half hour. They got to move their construction paper HANDS to show me the times. This was a super engaging lesson and review!

Speaking of REVIEW, I made this little TELLING TIME minibook as a FREEBIE for ya'll! It's a great way to assess students on their ability to write the time on an analog and digital clock.

Be sure you go grab it!

OH, and while you're there, check out my MEASUREMENT PACKET!!!

AND, lastly...if you haven't entered my BIG GIVEAWAY yet for your chance to win a $100 Amazon giftcard and $20 TpT giftcard, visit my last post!!! Giveaway ends this SUNDAY!

5 comments:

  1. I would have love to have been in your classroom!
    I am going to try this! THANKS for sharing and stop by anytime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was so much fun! :) Your students will love it!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the freebie! My kiddos are working on time now too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your mini-me! The Dunkin Donuts reminds me of growing up in Rhode Island because there is one on EVERY corner!

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...