Thursday, April 4, 2013

Day 3: Let's Get Organized: Library and BOOKS!




Happy Thursday All!
I am so excited to be guest posting for Marie.  I love her store and her ideas!  So when she asked me to be a guest blogger I didn't hesitate!  If you haven't visited my blog you can check it out HERE or by clicking on my button below



Just Wild About Teaching


This post is all about organizing! Through the week you have been seeing some awesome ideas and tips on how to organize!  I'm going to offer my tips on how to organize your books!
Now if you're anything like me you have tons and tons of books! I have big books, small books, expensive books, holiday books....the list can go on and on!  In the beginning of the year I had trouble storing all of these books and figuring out where to put them all.  Then I  had a lightbulb!


In the summer I created these amazing crates!  If you want to learn more or see the easy tutorial on how to make these, click HERE to take you to that post. I take you step by step on how to make these durable and very fun crates.

This is what my library looked like in the beginning of the year.



I have done some tweaking through the year as I didn't know what to do with the over flow of books I have.  So With some adjustments and some lightbulbs going off in my head..here is what it looks like now.



(Pardon the blur)

So what I did was buy big storage bins from Lakeshore.  I separated the expensive books into different categories into:
Social Studies/Science
Fun Books
Holiday Books
These bins are on the bottom shelf of the library.

My little ones know not to touch the bottom books because they are expensive! LoL

The top books are separated into reading levels.  Each student of mine knows what level reading they are. Behind each book there is a level on it as well. Take a closer look.



Each student has a clothespin with their names on it.  When I have them take a book from the library, they bring their clothespin and clip the bin in whichever one they take from.  When they are done with the book, they place the book back wherever the pin is at.

Pretty Easy!

It took sometime to get the kiddies use to bringing their clothespin with them, but routine is KEY!

Now I also decided to seperate books into months.  Each month is a different theme whether it's Easter, Spring, Earth Day, etc.  It's important to have the books already picked out so your not searching for the specific books for the entire month.  So this is what I have come up with.

Take a look at this fabulous crate.






If you can tell, it's empty in the middle.  Well this is where storage comes in!




With a big zip-loc bag place the specific month books in each one. For example put all the September books in one bag and label it.  So all the apple books, Johnny Appleseed, back to school books go in this bag.  If you label them and put them in the correct order, it will make it for easy pick up when that month comes.




Easy Peasy!
I hope you found my organizing tips helpful. 

To keep updated with my latest crafts, tips and ideas drop by my blog to stay posted!

Happy Thursday!


5 comments:

  1. LOVE this!! I can see what I will be working on this summer! :)

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both!! :) I already have the crate seats, but the ORGANIZATION is next!

      Delete
  2. This came out great Marie! Thanks for letting me be apart of this week. =)

    Michelle

    Justwildaboutteaching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I can't wait to try your CLOTHESPIN IDEA!!! Genius!

      Delete
  3. I've started reorganizing for next year with the inspiration from you lovely ladies. I found collapsable ottomans at AC Moore last night that are similar to Michelle's crates. I only paid a bit over $5 for them (on sale and with a 25% off coupon- score!!!) They go with my jungle theme in my room as the tops are cheetah and zebra print. I'm so psyched! I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to store in them but, I may go back for more! Thanks for a great post!

    Meghan

    First Grade Hugs and High Fives

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...