Saturday, March 9, 2013

Science Saturday! :) PopROCKS science

Yes...after lots of thinking, I've decided it makes more sense for me to do my FRIDAY Science POSTS on Saturdays....WHY???

Well, it gives me a chance to share with you guys what my class and I do on Friday....without me being SUPER rushed on Friday afternoons (leaving more time for my family on Friday afternoons!)


SO, let's talk POPROCKS!

I LOVED this candy when I was younger, and I LOVE making my science lessons more KID-FRIENDLY!

This pairs PERFECTLY with FUN SCIENCE!

I began my science lesson by asking my First Graders how many of them had ever seen or tasted the candy before.....

To my SURPRISE, I had 8 students who had NEVER tasted Pop Rocks! (This was a shock to me...I can't imagine my childhood without some fun CRACKLING candy!) Lol

Then, I gave every student in my class a small packet of Pop Rocks and we got to explore....

We looked.
We felt.
WE TASTED!
We LISTENED!

After that, we DISCUSSED! And, OH there were LOTS of things to be said! ((((((Can you say ENGAGED STUDENTS?!?!?))))))

I asked my four tables (groups) to discuss as a team HOW they think POP ROCKS work....then, I listened to there ideas...which were pretty darn amazing!

For instance, one group said they think the water in your mouth annoys the candy and it just explodes! :)

Another group actually said "The candy has a reaction to your saliva"...yes...FIRST GRADERS!!!!

After all of our answers were shared, I showed them this video so they could find out exactly what is going on with this candy! 



NOW, if you haven't seen this POP ROCKS packet yet, it is WORTH looking into! :) After having fun with SCIENCE, you can teach all about ADJECTIVES and DESCRIPTIVE writing with Babbling Abby's
Let's Get Pop Rockin' Packet!  I used her packet to help when we were describing our candy...and got the idea for the cute craft from her too! I LOVE this packet!

And, before I go....here are some photos from our DAY of SCIENCE and POPROCKS!



6 comments:

  1. I LOVE the science connection! Brilliant!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that's pretty cool.
    I've never had pop rocks, either. In fact, I've never even seen them in the store. But then I'm not a candy eater so maybe they're there and I just don't see them. I'm going to look though cause this experiments looks like a blast!
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, Barbara!!!! Never? :) You'll have to try to find them because this experiment is SO much FUN! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your Spring Fling Math Packet (from Tamara's Giveaway.) It is full of wonderful math practice I can use right now with my first graders. Thanks Again,
    Maria
    First Grade Carousel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I'm glad you like it and that your First Graders can use it! :)

      Delete
  4. Your kids must have LOVED the pop rocks activities!! Adding it to my "must do with my kiddos" list! I'm your newest follower :)

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...