Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Great Grammar Ideas Linky!!!


I am so excited to join Lori's Great Grammar Ideas Linky Party!

I teach First grade and we work really hard to master several grammar concepts during each year.

In our classroom, we always start the year by recognizing some very important "basic" concepts:

Sentences begin with a capital letter.
Sentences end with a punctuation mark.
In order to be complete, sentences need certain PARTS of SPEECH....

That last one, of course is where the "meat" of grammar comes in!

We then focus in on certain PARTS....starting with NOUNS!

I love talking with students about what makes a word a noun. Is it a person, place, or thing?? Sorting activities are a favorite of mine for this! Give a big pile of nouns, then let students work with a partner or in small groups to decide if the word is a person, place, or thing.

Here's a little FREEBIE sort recording page for you guys!


You can laminate this page or put it in a sheet protector and let them use it over and over for different sets of nouns!

Another fun (and thrifty) thing to do is give students a pile of old magazines (KID FRIENDLY...of course!) and ask them to make a NOUNS collage by cutting out words that are nouns and gluing them to a piece of paper. My students always like doing things like that!

And, lastly...another fun way to get the students thinking about NOUNS is a game I call, "Pick a Place, Name a Noun"! I put cards in a pile and each card has a certain place or situation (kitchen, Disneyland, baseball game...etc) and students take turns choosing a card. When they have their card, they have to name THREE nouns they would find in that place...and then someone else gets a turn! It's really cute to see what they think of for each place. :)

Before I go, I just have to share one more thing.
I have a fairly new NOUNS work packet that I've been using with my class this year and the students LOVE the sorting activities! I've gotten some great feedback from teachers who have used it already in their classrooms.

It's called Nouns are Poppin' Up! 


This is a 55 page packet that works GREAT for reviewing the types of nouns, plural/singular, common/proper...all while making it FUN! :)

Be sure to go check out all the other bloggers who link up with Lori! Just CLICK HERE to go to the LINKY PARTY page! 

4 comments:

  1. Marie, thanks for sharing your great ideas! I am going to pin them right now! I am so going to play Pick a Place, Name a Noun! That's a great exit game, too, to check for mastery. Nouns are Poppin' Up! looks amazing!
    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I love the idea of the Pick a Place, Name a Noun game!

    Thanks for the freebie!

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are definitely playing "Pick a Place, Name a Noun" tomorrow!

    Too cute!

    Halle
    Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your noun collage idea! I can see my kids enjoying that.
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...