Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday Science: New Science Standards??

Has anyone else heard of the new shift in science???? Looks like Science has jumped on the Math and Language Arts wagon and the NRC has come up with a complete list of new Science Standards.
 
 
Now, if you go to Next Generation Science Standards website you can find out so much more and get a copy of the latest draft of these new standards. The final draft is set to come out in March, but you can
CLICK HERE to see this final draft.
 
We had an inservice on these standards, and I have to say, I walked away feeling WAY excited because these standards come in such an easy to understand, easy to read layout.
 
There are three main components of these standards. You can print them off and see the standard (the idea that students should learn), an unpacked (broken down) level, and it is even going to include all the connections to Common Core standards in Math and Language arts that the particular science standard directly relates to.
 
Is your state taking part??? ***This statement is from the NGSS website**** "All states were invited to join in June 2011. The first round of states included Arizona, California, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Washington and West Virginia."
 
There were more states that joined later, but I cannot find the complete list...
 
 
Here's my question: Have any of my friends out there in blogger-land heard of these new standards? I know I shared what I learned with a few of my blogger friends and many had not seen or heard of this yet. Is anyone else just hearing about this like us?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the Next Gen Science standards! I live and teach in Georgia and have not heard they were out yet, but I am in a small private school. I actually helped bring Common Core to the school so this will help me so much with science! Thanks!
    Deanna
    A Primary Owl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a Science Institute this summer where I heard about them for the first time and we looked through them. They align perfectly with Common Core. I love the shift in thinking in all of the new standards to much more hands on, interactive concept based teaching/learning for kids.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...