Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday Science!!! Fun with WIND(bags)!

WOW, it seems like forever since I was able to post a FRIDAY Science post! Busy, busy, busy with holiday madness! :)
 
So, I wanted to share YET ANOTHER amazing Steve Spangler inspired experiment I did with my class. During his bootcamp I attended recently he showed us his "windbag" experiment. Now, I love Steve Spangler, but I love him even more because he doesn't tell you "YOU HAVE TO BUY THE BAGS FROM ME"....
 
In fact...
He flat out told all of us that we could get the same effect from using Diaper Genie refill bags! See....nicest person....EVER.
 
OK, so back to the experiment.
 
Here is a video from his website


AND, here is a book I used as a little intro to a "wind" and "air flow" discussion:

 The Windy Day
In this book there is a peaceful, quiet little town that seems down right boring...UNTIL, one day when a big gust of wind blew threw and everything went a bit topsy turvy.
The little boy in the book says he could hear the sounds from the past with the gust of wind and smell the seas from years ago....It is a great way to discuss how air travels and the air we breathe is moving constantly....
 
SO, after reading and discussing this cute book (with really good illustrations), I showed my students my WINDBAG and asked them how many breaths they thought it would take....Some said 30, some said 10, some even said 100.

 
 
I let them all guess, then I continued with Spangler's experiment:
If you'd like to see more or see some detailed directions on this experiment,
 
You will be SO glad you tried it! My kiddos had so much fun, and now I am letting them "earn" a windbag party!
 
HAPPY FRIDAY YA'LL!
 

2 comments:

  1. I love how you incorporated literature into your science lesson! I'm featuring this post on Bagels and Blogs tomorrow. :)

    Donna
    Math Coach’s Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much! :) I'll be sure to check it out!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...