Monday, November 26, 2012

Ode to Common Core...

Common Core......
 
It's like a gift that keeps on giving :)
 
I am actually a huge fan, but I'll also be one of the first to say it's a lot of work getting to know all the major shifts and changes from what I've done in the past to what I'm trying to do now.
 
Even in First Grade, Common Core standards seem to ask a lot of students, and in turn...the teachers.
 
I absolutely love my Principal because she completely backs her staff and cares genuinely about our success....it's sad to know that this is not always the case.
 
We had a staff meeting today to make sure we are all on board and ready to participate in LOTS of training that she has planned for us to help ease the transitions in our LITERACY Common Core shifts.
 
She started the day by sharing this poem (which she wrote, by the way!!) and I thought it was SO good, I asked if I could share it here on my blog! :) ENJOY
 
Every teacher
At school
Liked our teaching a lot…
 
But ADE
In their big offices… they…
Did not!
 
Oh no, they thought teaching was not hard enough
So they conspired with other states to make this job rough!
They sat down with the others and changed all the rules, 
They want more from us without giving us tools.
 
The new common core standards is all that we hear,
So we have let our anxiety turn into full-blown fear.
Will I be ready, will I know what to do?
Will my principal have answers, if she’s just learning it too?
So we’re trying our best, going out on a limb,
We have to decide if we’ll sink or we’ll swim.
The new common core standards are neatly waiting,
All tucked in a binder and ours for the taking
 
 
************************************** There was more to the poem, but it was mostly specific to our school....BUT, I think, in these first few stanzas, she NAILED IT!
 
What do you think? :)

4 comments:

  1. She explains exactly how we were thrown into Common Core last year. We had a little training for K-2 but this year 3-8 came on board and had zero training.

    She sounds like an fabulous principal. You are very lucky!

    Jana
    Thinking Out Loud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your principal sounds fantastic, I'm jealous! Thanks for sharing:)

    Aloha,
    Corinna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! This has been a really wonderful article.
    Thanks for providing these details.
    Also visit my web page : slow computer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually I don't learn post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to try and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice article.
    My website :: cigarette prices

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...