Friday, October 26, 2012

Friday Science: You will NOT wanna MISS THIS!

Psss! Read ALL the way through for SOMETHING super exciting!
Anyone know who this gentleman beside me is???????
 
If you guessed, Steve Spangler....
 
then you are RIGHT!
 
I nearly fainted, I was so freakin' excited to meet him! :)
 
As much as I love his website, his products, and the videos on YouTube, I love it all even more now!
 
WHY, you ask????
 
I was at his STEVE SPANGLER SCIENCE BOOT CAMP today here in Phoenix!

 
He gave us all this box of goodies to use during the day, and I couldn't wait to tear into it!

 
Steve was using a glove to BOUNCE bubbles!

 
He let us make mini-lava lamps...sort of.... :)




 
 
Just in time for HALLOWEEN, he showed us some REALLY cool things to do with DRY ICE!
 
Like this...make a dry ice bubble....

 
Then pop it!

 
LOTS of really fun things...



 
AND, at the very end, I got to go up on stage and do a REALLY COOL "trick"....

 
One of my favorite things about today's bootcamp is that Steve not only showed us these eye-catching science experiments, but he made it clear to us that we should

"Never let the gee-whiz moments overpower the learning experience."
 
It really made me rethink the term "hands-on".....Hands-on is not just having students go through the steps that you tell them. It's not about watching them hold something that you give them. It's about giving them enough background information, giving them materials, and then stepping back, watching, and LISTENING.
 
This is probably the BIGGEST thing I learned all day. A HUGE thank you to Steve Spangler and his assistant, Jeff, for making today so awesome! Thank you to Susan for making sure I got to this Boot Camp!
 
AND....because Steve is so kind, he gave me a one of his FABULOUS books to give to one of you!!!
 
 
OH..and....
 
to make it EVEN better......

He signed it for you!
 
TO see more about Steve Spangler, and to find out how you can register for one of his AMAZING Boot Camps, Just CLICK HERE!
 
Now, if you want this book, enter in the rafflecoptor below!  
a Rafflecopter giveaway
 


17 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had so much FUN!!
    That dry ice bubble looked soooo cool!
    I'd love to win the book!

    Sandra
    Sweet Times in First
    sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Steve Spangler as well and I LOVE science time with my kiddos. I totally agree with you that the gee-whiz moments are enough (great to catch attention/motivation), but students should also know the why of things...especially given the time to come to those on their own.
    Love your site,
    Fabiola

    4everateacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a TON of fun! Wish I was there :)

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm due to graduate at the beginning of next year for my first year of teaching and I have no idea whether I'll be with little ones or in a middle school!

    I have used some of Steve's ideas for Science lessons before, but it would be fantastic to have a collection of these at my fingertips...so his books would probably be the first thing I would go for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this would be a FABULOUS resource for a new teacher! :) Hope you win!

      Delete
  5. The slime kit would be great for my class!

    Tokyoshoes (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh - who doesn't love to teach Science?!?? I think of any subject my first graders are most excited about science...both boys AND girls....

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks for commenting and for entering the giveaway!

      Delete
  7. I am right there with Suzy Q . . . slime kit all the way. Also, I love his snow! Thanks for offering up such a WONDERFUL prize! I hope I WIN :)

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory
    kelleydolling@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be fun too! Thanks for entering!

      Delete
  8. How fun the slime factory would be!!!

    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love the sprout and grow window. :) SUPER fun and GREAT giveaway. I need to use him more in my science classes. Thanks for reminding me!

    Maria
    http://curiousfirsties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Steve Spangler! There are so many things I would love for my classroom, among them the Slime Kit! SO MUCH FUN!

    œKaryn
    A is for Apple B is for Blog
    Kideducator@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for attending the Phoenix Boot Camp. I'm so glad we crossed paths and it worked out that you could meet Steve in person. I just wish I could have also been there to meet you IRL and watch your wicked egg drop skills in person. We will keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will definately keep in touch Susan!!! Now I'm planning for the Science in the Rockies :)

      You have all been so nice. It's very refreshing to see a company with such down to earth, sincerely nice people working in it! :)

      Delete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...