Friday, September 7, 2012

Friday Science and a Freebie!

Friday.....oh how I LoVe my FriDAYS!

One of the reasons is because it's the END of my work week and it means I get to spend some QT with my hubby and kids....

and the other is....

FRIDAY SUPER SCIENCE time in my class!

I am a kid at heart and science is MY most fave subject to teach my kids!

For those of you who are just now seeing my Friday Science posts, each Friday I post an experiment that my class has used or will use to help us go through the steps of the scientific method or learn about one of our areas of science.

This week I'm sharing what my kiddos did LAST Friday....

BUT FIRST, take a look at how our Science Lab Coats turned out!


My little SCIENTISTS look ADORABLE in their labcoats! :)

They wore them for the first time last week during our "HOW DO WE SMELL?" science activity.

I started by showing a very cute video from BRAINPOP about how we use our nose to smell things.

I also found another cute video on the sense of smell: CLICK HERE TO SEE THAT VIDEO!

Then we talked about things that we like the smell of and things that we don't like...

This lesson ALWAYS interests my kiddos because I have a VERY strange sense of smell.

I probably should not even admit this on my blog, but I happen to LOVE the way skunks smell. To me, they smell like lemon juice....and I love lemon juice! lol (SEE, WEIRD...I know!)

Anyways, after our discussions, I revealed to the students that I had set up FIVE cups in the room.

The cups each had items with distinct smells and they were covered with tin foil that I punched holes into. This kept students from peeking...THEY HAD TO USE THEIR NOSE! :)
 

 

I gave students a recording page to record their guesses for each item, then when they were all done, I told them what each cup held. As I told them, they went back and circled whether their guesses were right or wrong.

My class had a lot of fun guessing!

OH, and FYI, the items I used were:

1/2 of a lemon
1 mashed garlic clove
cinnamon
salsa
Hershey's chocolate bar pieces

If you want to use the recording page we used, just download by clicking the picture!
 
 
Don't forget....if you haven't entered yet....
colored400Giveaway
 
You can click HERE to enter!
 
Have an AWESOME weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your lab coats. I have been looking for something like that for my classroom. I did find safety glasses at the Dollar Tree (of course for $1.00 each) which I was very excited about but not lab coats. I will go back above and see if you put how you made them but if you didn't, how did you do it and what is it made out of? Glad I found your blog. Visit mine if you have time some day and Thanks for being a part of Corinna's giveaway. Hopefully I will win. :)

    Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...