Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday Science: OLYMPICS STYLE! (and a Word Work Freebie)

Happy Friday Ya'll!

Every Friday during the school year I have my Science Experiment/Scientific Method time in class. I teach Science most of the week, but this is just my time for the fun experiments :)

So, today, since we all have Olympics on the brain, I found a cool way to link SCIENCE to the OLYMPICS! YAY!!! My students have all been talking about the Olympics because, no doubt, their parents are watching it at home.

This particular Science activity has to do with a Winter Olympic activity: ICE SKATING.

I started by showing my class this video of a girl practicing her ice skating routine:


Then, I talked to them about what they saw in the video. I asked them about the "Spinning" parts and how they thought the girl spun so fast. I got lots of responses and after a moment, I played it again, asking them to pay special attention to the spins.

Afterwards I asked the question: "Do you want to know how SCIENCE relates to Ice Skating?"

Then, I showed THIS video from Steve Spangler:


When the video was done, I talked to the class about how the woman was changing her speed by shifting her weight to a center point.

I got a lot of "oooohhhh" and "aaahhhhh"'s , so I know they were really interested.

Then, I used my desk chair to let the students practice spinning and using this idea. I had them first hold their arms and legs straight out in the chair. After I started to spin them, I would tell them to quickly put their arms and legs into their chair/body. They all sped up when they did this! It worked!!!


This was a great way to build interest at the beginning of the year and show my students that SCIENCE truly is everywhere! :)

And, if you didn't grab my free Olympics Word Work page, click here! 

5 comments:

  1. I love this idea Marie! I was thinking of doing a Scientist of the Week take home bag where the students would select a project & come in & perform it for the class on Friday (with simple materials- nothing crazy!) Thanks for sharing your idea!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute are you Marie! Bet you had them eating out of your hand! What a fabulous tie in to the Olympics and such a great science lesson. Amazing job-thanks for sharing!
    -Christy & Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I love figure-skating! This is great, Marie!! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber!! It was VERY easy, as it only called for videos and a chair that spins! lol

      Delete
  4. Fun times in Mrs. Cote's class :) I bet your kids had a blast!!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...