Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Beads, Bracelets, Stickers, and Math Class

I am always looking for ways to add more hands-on activities to my math class. Currently we are working on ways to make 7 and 8.
Today, I put out orange and pink beads and let students use them to help show the parts of 7 and parts of 8. The students really liked it, and it made it much easier for them to do the math and work through the problems.

There are SO many ways to use beads in your class. You can also make bead bracelets for a cute way to get students using manipulatives to add and subtract (and make their fact families too!)

Pinned Image


Also, I have to share with you guys another cool bead trick from Teacher Tipster! Ever heard of him??? He's SUPER goofy, and full of awesome ideas!

Check out this video of the Teacher Tipster using beads to help with place value:



One more thing before I go....again, I used this activity for showing ways to make 8. After our lesson, I gave each of my students grid paper with each row containing 8 squares. Then, I gave them all different types of stickers and asked them to show me ways to make 8 using the stickers. Here are a few of my student's work:




When they were done creating 8 with their stickers, I had them go back and write the NUMBER SENTENCE to go with each row. This was a great informal assessment and the kids LOVED playing with the stickers! :)

Before I go, I want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of you that shopped My TpT Store sale this weekend! I love you guys and appreciate the support!

1 comment:

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...