Monday, July 2, 2012

Can Anyone See the MISTAKE?

So.....remember the cute sign I posted last week for ya'll? The "In this Room..." poster?


Well...I received an email last night from a retired English teacher letting me know I made a BIG mistake! Go figure! Me? Make a mistake? :)

I am leaving my sign as it is because 1) I like the sound of it and 2) I'm not a huge stickler for things like this when it is for a poster that is more of a personal expression....

BUT, I do understand that lots of you may have been thinking the same thing as the person who emailed me, and I am not downing anyone! I work with a couple of teachers that would have already caught the mistake and pointed it out to me! LOL

So....anyone know what my mistake was???? Well, I'll tell you.
Do you guys remember learning the rule about NEVER ending sentences with prepositions??

Obviously, I either missed that lesson, or forgot about it since I learned it 15 or so years ago and teach 1st grade, where we don't discuss prepositions. :)

The last sentence should not end with "environment to succeed in."

As my new friend pointed out, it should end with "environment in which to succeed."
I know that's correct English, but it just sounds so stifled and structured....

Like I said, I like the way the first one sounds, BUT, for those of you who would like the "correct written English", you can Click here to get the CORRECTED version.  :)

Now, does this mean I'd like you guys to start checking my blog posts for my grammar mistakes?? lol Absolutely not! That would mean you all had entirely too much time on your hands, and it would point out all of my flaws :( I'm sure I make mistakes often and you guys are just too nice to point them out! Hahaha~

Remember, I have my 200 FOLLOWER giveaway going on right now! It ends on Wednesday, so be sure to go check it out! CLICK HERE to go to the GIVEAWAY! 

8 comments:

  1. I could not find the mistake until you pointed it out. Lol. I still like the first way better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your way better hehe

    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class
    I hope that you'll join me for my giveaway ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl! I almost got SKINNED for that one in college. I HATED that grammar rule. So dumb. But that is probably because I grew up in the south..."Where y'all at?" =)

    Emily @ Second Grade Silliness 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! Exactly...I'm from GA, so that may be it! LOL

      Marie

      Delete
  4. I end lots of sentences like that... I think it could depend on the area that you live in...I am from the Midwest, and it is very common around here too. We forgive you :)

    Shar

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...