Saturday, June 16, 2012

Writing Ideas: Add some FLARE!

Ok, so I'm still on my vacation visiting family, but I have been taking some AMAZING pictures and wanted to share a few.

I also wanted to share an idea that I have begun working on for this coming school year.

I'm not sure about you, but I have noticed that getting students to ENJOY writing is sometimes tricky. It's also harder for younger students to "create" stories from nothing....even if you give them a topic sometimes.

So, this is what I am planning as a Writing Center for next year:

PLAYING WITH PICTURES Writing Center

What you will need:
LOTS of pictures of random scenes or items or animals (I am going to make triple copies of the ones I use)

Paper

Pencils

Tape


Have all of this in a center bucket and keep the pictures in a small index card file box. When students come to this center, they can choose a picture from the box, but then they must follow the rules of writing and write either a fiction or non-fiction paragraph or story about the picture. Then they can tape the picture to the back of the page, or to the top or bottom of their page.

I'm already taking pictures to use while I'm here in GA on vacation.

Here is one I will definitely use with my kiddos back in Arizona!

I also have a fun SUPER HERO themed writing packet at my TPT store that makes writing more interesting for my FIRSTIES!

Now, here are a couple of cute pics that I have taken in the past couple of days that I wanted to share with ya'll!

My daughter in her Papa's Workboots :)

and


My little guy, riding in the pasture...grinning away! :)



5 comments:

  1. The pictures are so cute! Love the boots.

    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea!! I'm going to use it for fourth grade!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have done this- one great place to get some really cheap pictures- old calendars. I bought a ton of calendars from last year for a nickel each! Then, I cut the pictures up and put them in our bin. Students can choose whatever they want. They love it!
    First with Franklin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes!!! I have used calendars before...especially around the holidays if I can find a seasonal calendar! :)

      Delete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...