Friday, June 22, 2012

Reading Fluency Helpers! ( HURRY and get a FREE packet!)

Teaching students to read is one of THE MOST rewarding experiences of my life....BUT, it can also be some of the most frustrating times.

Have you ever had a student who can sound out the words, but spend most of their reading time stopping at each word, instead of reading more fluidly or fluently?

Does this come to mind?



Of course, we don't ACTUALLY do this, but if you're like me, you sometimes do this within...(go ahead...admit it!)

This past school year I spent a lot of time researching and working on different ways to add more fluency practice and assessments to my classroom.

One of the websites I came across was The Florida Center for Reading Research .
I have blogged about this site before, but thought it was worth mentioning again because I found some really useful things.

Part of the practice they suggested was using phrases that progress into a full sentence as a very repetitive fluency practice.

For example:

She
She is
She is a
She is a very
She is a very nice
She is a very nice girl.

They begin reading just the one word, then continue reading over and over until they have the complete sentence.

The students I used this method with REALLY had fun with them and begged for them each time we had our fluency practice time!

So, taking what I learned from working with my students and reading online, I created a set of these type of "add-on" sentences and a student assessment page for you to use with your students.

They are going to be $2 in my TPT store starting TOMORROW, but

TODAY for all of my FOLLOWERS....the packet is FREE FREE FREE!!!! :) Go get it and remember to leave me some comments and feedback! :) Hope you like it as much as I do!



10 comments:

  1. I made something just like this using our FRY sight words for my below level readers. You're not alone on the wanna pull your hair out part :) Thank you for the sharing, this is wonderful for grade level fluency!!

    ❤- Stephanie
    Falling Into First
    100 Follower {WRITE} This Way Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie, and thank you for the great feedback in TpT! :)

      I appreciate it!
      Marie

      Delete
  2. How fun. I can't wait to try this out in that fall!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this. I do find fluency and first graders to be such a contradiction in terms! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really cool idea, Marie. I'll have to try that out in the fall. Thanks!

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...