Thursday, May 31, 2012

Wild Management Pockets and Wild Seats! DIY

Yes...it is OFFICIALLY official! lol....I have completely begun reconstructing my classroom to have it's brand new WILD theme! I'm having so much fun! Who knew that going "wild" would be so exciting?!? lol

So, here are just a couple of things I have done so far. They may not look like much, but they have already added so much personality to my classroom!

#1: Wild Animal Print Classroom Management POCKETS! I used pockets and each student gets color coded cards inside the pockets. My first grade team all uses the same color cards, but this year, I'm jazzing up my pockets!
Here is what they look like when they are all done. These two are shown with purple cards, meaning an EXCEPTIONALLY good day! :) I'll add names to the front of the pockets when I have my class list. Each hook and number gets one pocket. This is how I keep my student list organized. Their hook number matches their cubby number and their management card is above their number and hook.

                                  

I got the paper from Hobby Lobby, but you can use any type of cardstock or scrapbooking paper. These came pre-cute into 4"X6" pieces!

I took two that were the same color and then cut a "u" shape out of the top of one piece.


Then, I put the one that had been cut on top of the other so the opening was formed at the top. I stapled the bottom and both sides. Then, I just inserted the color cards!


This could work with ANY classroom theme because you are choosing your own paper! I know you can buy pockets, but they are typically very thin paper and don't come in many options. This really helped my classroom theme POP!

Next, #2......CRATE SEATS!!! No, this is not my own idea....I found it on Pinterest as I'm sure MANY of you have...but, here is my picture journey of making my own crate seats GO WILD!

I spent $9 on a twin size foam mattress pad at Walmart...this is what I used for my cushion!


I only bought two crates for now, as I'm SURE they'll go on sale in July!


I paid $10 at Home Depot for Plywood and they cut it down to size for me for free! The guys there were very nice and when they found out I was a teacher making these for my room, they gave me a great discount! I had enough wood cut to give a set of 6 pieces to of my teacher friends as well as myself!

I put the foam on one side and then covered with my fabric and stapled with a wall stapler....

AND, VOILA!!!!

 CRATES GONE WILD!


I am very pleased with the way they turned out and would love to take credit, but like I said....crate seats are not a new idea.....they are just a new idea in my class! I am thrilled they turned out as great as I had imagined. :) YAY!!!!

If you do like the WILD theme, I have some ZEBRA items in my TPT store now! Click HERE to check them out...there are only a couple right now, but more coming!
NOW, for a little teaser: ANyone want a FREE Science experiment kit?????? Be on the lookout for details on a cool science giveaway. I'll post all the details TOMORROW for my Friday Science!


8 comments:

  1. I'm wild about your wild print ideas!! Your crate seats came out great. I plan on trying to make them this summer!

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! The crate seats were MUCH easier than I thought they would be! If you have questions when you do yours, I'd be happy to help...but it's REALLY easy!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's the crazy teacher in me! LOL....I can't sit still and I just LOVE the idea of rearranging and organizing my room for next year! lol
      Guess that's why I became a teacher...it's just in my blood!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Your seats. I have the same crates that I bought a few years ago at WalMart. I'm just wondering the measurements your gave the Home Depot guys. My team and I were also thinking about making these seats over the summer. Thanks for the inspiration to get started! :)
    Maria
    eshman.m@norwoodschools.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! I actually took the crate in with me to Home Depot and the guys were nice enough to measure it for me! I'm sure they would do that at any Home Depot, or Lowes. It was a really easy project and added lots of character to my reading table :)

      Good Luck!! Be sure to let me know how it goes!

      ~Marie

      Delete
  4. Wow - LOVE the crate seats! I have never seen those before!

    Mrs. Slocum
    Teacher's Don't Steal, They Share!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...