Monday, May 28, 2012

IceSkating and the Tacky Penguin :)

Last week was my last week of school and my First graders wrapped up our Penguin/Antarctica unit with a trip to POLAR ICE (a really nice ice-skating rink). I was very nervous to take my class ice skating...ONE, because they are 7 and 8 years old and I kept having these flashes of ice blades on fingers (morbid...yes)....and TWO, because I have only been skating ONCE in my life on ice and it did not go so well for my behind!



BUT, ya'll, I rocked it!!! I was able to help all of my kids who needed help and as it turned out, most of them took to the ice like a penguin :)

Which leads me to my next point....A NEW PICTURE BOOK I bought today! It's not a "new" book, but it's new to me. I found it while doing a bit of shopping with the family today and just had to buy it for my class. It was only 7$ and will go very nicely with my penguin unit! It gives way for some GREAT Venn diagramming too!
Tacky the Penguin
It's the story of an ODD penguin who is very different from his very proper and normal penguin companions. In the end, this TACKY penguin helps save his friends by being himself. Great story and my 4-year-old loved it. I gave it a test run with her! lol

Has anyone else read this story??? What did you think?

5 comments:

  1. LOVE Tacky the Penguin! I have every book in the series and would do a whole unit on it! Incredible!! :)

    -Lacey
    Wild about Teaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun! I didn't even know it was part of a series...I'll have to check the rest out!

      Delete
  2. What a cool way to end your Tacky/Polar unit. I have never been ice skating. But, if it is anything like roller skating, I wouldn't be able to help the kids like you did :). I am hosting my very first linky party and would love for you to jump in if you are interested. Pop over for a little visit if you find a moment. Thanks Marie!

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I'll be sure to take a look and link up!

      Delete
  3. I love Tacky and the message in the book. We start January with a penguin unit. I text pair Tacky with a Gail Gibbon's Penguin non-fiction book. We compare Tacky & emperor penguins, review fact vs. opinion and map where penguins are found. Love this unit.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...