Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dad's Day and New Classroom THEME!

Is anyone planning something special for your students and their Dads? This year was the first year that I decided to take a day to celebrate the Dads, and I am SO glad that I did. We celebrate our Moms every year, but the Dads often get the short end of the deal because we are often out for Summer break on Father's Day.

So...this year, I planned a Dad's Day Breakfast! It was very simple because, let's face it, Dads don't want a lot of fancy decorations and big to-do's. I bought donuts, bagels, and juice, and I made a big crockpot full of potatoes, eggs, and turkey bacon. They arrived about 30 minutes before school started with their child and just hung out and had breakfast.

And, you know what???? I only had TWO dads that were not able to come. It was such a great turnout and the Dads all appreciated it so much. I even had a Dad from another classroom stop by to tell me that he heard my Dad's Breakfast was so special. I will definitely be continuing this as a yearly tradition.


While we are on the topic of DADS, I have created a little set of Dad's Day writing activities and an original poem for my TpT Store. Click HERE to see what this Packet includes! 

Now, let me talk to you guys about CLASSROOM themes....for the past few years my class has had a STAR theme....Welcome, the Newest Stars of 1st Grade........Let's Blast off into First Grade....etc....but, anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE to change things up. I rearrange my room every year! LOL

Let me show you what I'm thinking for next year:
Here's a hint....
Can you guess it?????

I"M GOING WILD!!!!!! And, I am sooooooo excited about planning my WILD decor! :)

I even have a new idea for kids who struggle to keep their spot in reading groups. Instead of the ruler or pencil or color guide for keeping your spot on the page when others are reading....I'm going to let my kiddos use these! (Or something like this....PLASTIC ZOO ANIMAL PUPPETS)
Zoo Animal Finger Puppets

Anyone out there have the WILD theme??? SAFARI theme??? Jungle theme??? Let me hear from you! :)

First person to comment will get my Dad's Day pack for FREE!

9 comments:

  1. I had a wild, jungle them last year it was great!! My reading center was covered in vines and said wild about reading!! The kids loved it there!! Tons of animal print in my room last year!! Enjoy working on your new theme!!
    Danielle
    dnll.brown@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be emailing you the Dad pack tonight!!!! Thanks for being the first to comment :)
      Marie

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the jungle them. I do it as well. Ikea has some amazing big leaves. I have a lot of monkey stuff too. The kids love it.

    Kacie
    kaciebrown@live.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like the idea of getting big leaves! Wonder if they still have them?

      Delete
  4. What a great idea for Dads!! I think that I may do this!! Thanks for sharing your ideas :).

    I would love for you to stop by & follow my blog!,
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am telling you, it was sooooooo fun and very simple!

      I'll be sure to swing by your blog!

      Delete
  5. Ahhhhh I love it!!! Love the change! Drastic, but you will feel brand new and so fresh!!

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrsstanfordsclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking! I need some CHANGE! lol

      Delete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...