Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Word Play and a New Writing Pack!

This time of year in my class, we have finished our Spelling books and I use our Spelling time to review other aspects of vocabulary and writing. We continue working on our word families and phonograms, but then we also review parts of speech, synonyms, antonyms, homophones, compound words, contractions, ABC order, and more!

I wanted to share with you guys an activity I use in my class to get my kids moving! Remember, I am a huge fan of getting my kids out of their seats when possible, and making WORDS FUN!

One of the activities I do with my First Graders is super easy to prep for. If you have index cards and markers, YOU ARE SET! I use index cards to help students practice ABC order. This week we used our names and also words from our -ash word family. I gave each student a card and asked them to write their name on one side of the card, and on the other, I had them write an -ash word.

Then, I put the students in groups and let them stand in front of the room an "LINE UP" in ABC order. After they had lined their small group up with their cards held in front of them, the other groups had to "check" their work. The students LOVE this game and we play it often!
Lining up by putting their names in ABC order...

Lining up with their -ash words in ABC order...

 Also, I wanted to share with you guys something I have just finished for my TpT store. I'm not sure if you guys run into this at all, but I am sure you have at some point or another had students that were harder to motivate when it comes to writing. This SUPER HERO WRITING PACK makes writing more kid-based and interesting for them. I find this MOST helpful with my boys, but all students in my first grade room like talking about super powers and super heroes. This pack allows students to compare and contrast super heroes and villains by using character traits. It also lets them create their own super hero and super villain and write stories related to both.


Stay tuned! Tomorrow I have another WORD PLAY GAME as well as some awesome OCEAN ideas!

Glitter Words
[Glitterfy.com - *Glitter Words*]

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marie,

    I really like your ABC order game. I'm like you, the more they move around in a productive way the better :)

    I just got your comment on Ruby Slippers ... Yes! I'd love to help you out with that.
    Give me a shout at beleyne@gmail.com and we can figure it out :)
    Take care!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara!!! I'll email you today! :)

      Delete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...