Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday Science: Shark SKIN!

It's Friday, and you know what that means! SCIENCE time in my class :)

Today I had the pleasure of watching one of my amazing moms do a really cool science activity with my students. She used to teach, so she did a great job of working with the students and going through the steps of this really cool project.

We have been learning all about the OCEANS and the animals of the oceans, so today's experiment was all about SHARK SKIN.

Have you ever felt shark's skin???? That's the question we asked my students. We wanted them to hypothesize what they thought a shark's skin would feel like if they touched it. The did a little observing by looking at pictures of sharks.

We had them right down their hypothesis on a recording sheet, then they were asked to draw a picture of their own shark on a piece of cardstock paper. We asked them to be sure to make their shark as long as the paper (turned horizontally).

Then, one by one my fabulous mom helped them create the skin effect! This is what she did. She brought in pieces of VERY COURSE sandpaper, an iron, and crayons.

Students had to choose a color (or two or three) and color the sandpaper, pressing hard with their crayon.

Next, we flipped this piece of sandpaper over so that the crayon covered side is FACING down on the top of the shark drawing that the kids made.

Then, we covered the top of the sandpaper with another piece of cardstock and ironed for about 60 seconds.

When we removed the top cardstock and then slowly removed the sandpaper, this is what the students saw:

The specks of crayon needed about 30 seconds to dry, but then, students could rub their hand over it and feel what is VERY similar to the feel of a shark's skin. It is bumpy and rough.


When that's done, students can go back and right down what a shark's skin ACTUALLY feels like.
Most of my students were very shocked and thought this was the coolest thing ever.
Thank you goes out to my AMAZING volunteer!
Here is a pic of her and her son who is in my class. (I got permission to post this!) :)

If you'd like a copy of the page that goes with this project, I'm happy to share what I created tonight. If you use it, I'd love for you to consider following my blog! Click Here for Shark Science Recording Page! 
As always, comments make me super happy!



Glitter Words
[Glitterfy.com - *Glitter Words*]

4 comments:

  1. I.LOVE.THIS.SO.MUCH!!!! Oh my goodness Marie. What a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But I can't take credit for the idea! This Mom brought it to me :)

      The kids really liked it!
      Marie

      Delete
    2. Thanks! But I can't take credit for the idea! This Mom brought it to me :)

      The kids really liked it!
      Marie

      Delete
  2. Hello dear Marie!!
    WOW oh WOW this experiment was totally awesome!!! I did it with my homeschooling treasures and it was soooo wonderful!! WORKED a treat!!! They were all sooo impressed as was I!! Thanks HEAPS for all the great instructions, check it out if you like at torrentsfamily.blogspot.com.au
    SMiles Sharnee :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...