Friday, April 20, 2012

Compound Words and FRIDAY SCIENCE freebie!

Before I begin sharing these activities, can I just hop up on my soap box for a moment???? PARENTS: Let your children LEARN from their mistakes INSTEAD of trying to defend every mistake they make!!!!!!

Breathe in, breathe out....ok....

Ya'll, it's been A DAY!!! But, it's Friday, and I'm going to have myself a nice glass bottle of wine and get over it! :) Or, as we say in the south, I'm gonna put on my big girl panties and get over it! lol

Before I start with the wine, I am going to share a couple of idea with you! I hope you'll find them useful and if you end up using them, I'd love to hear from you.

First off, COMPOUND WORDS. My students have been reviewing compound words and so yesterday I played a little game with them. I used sentence strips and wrote enough compound words that if I cut them apart where the words join, each of my students would have a card. If you have an odd number, you could always participate and give yourself a card too.

Next, students were given time to walk around the room and find another student with a word that could join with theirs to make a compound word.




When they found their match, they had to tape them together, then tape them to the board.





After all were done, we made a list of the compound words that our class found. Click here for the COMPOUND WORD recording sheet!

Now, I'm not sure who remembers my JELLY MARBLES Steve Spangler Science experiment from a few weeks ago, but if you didn't see it, Click here!

Today we did an extension of this lesson. I bought ORBEEZ from Walmart and we were experimenting with what they would do in different liquids. For this experiment we put them in water, whole milk, and O.J.


We had already discussed that jelly marbles/orbeez are made to easily HYDRATE (absorb water), so we wanted to see how these different liquids would work out.

The results were very cool and the kids loved it!



The OJ: The hydrating process was more slow and the pulp in the OJ was beginning to clump.


The milk was the coolest! The fat in the milk was in hard little clumps and the hydrating process was slowed down because of this.
Would you like a FREE COPY of the student pages for this activity???? CLICK HERE!

Hope you all have a great night! My wine bottle is calling me! lol
Glitter Words
[Glitterfy.com - *Glitter Words*]

4 comments:

  1. I love your science experiment. The colourful ones are the best :)

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! My students have really loved these!!!

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog. I am so excited to go explore! :)
    ❀Beth Ann❀
    Taming My Flock of Firsties
    bakteach16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me! Have fun exploring :)
      ~Marie

      Delete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...