Saturday, February 18, 2012

Does Math have a place in Social Studies? In my early years of teaching, I thought things needed to be very cut and dry. If it was my "Math time" then, I was only teaching math. If it was my "Writing time" I was only teaching writing...and so on. In the past few years, however, I have changed my mind drastically. This is MOSTLY due to the fact that I teach at an amazing school where the teachers are always looking outside the box and pushing each other to go beyond their limits. That being said, I have been working on my 1st grade US symbols unit and found some really cool ways to incorporate critical thinking and Math!
Case in point: This "Measuring Lady Liberty" activity. Not only are we going to discuss the history of our Lady Liberty, but we are then going to compare her measurements to the measurements of our own bodies. SO EXCITED about doing this with the kiddos! It will give them a really good idea of exactly how HUGE she is...much more than simply looking at her picture. Are you a teacher looking to add to your own unit? This would work for more advanced Firsties, or Second graders! You can download my 22 page unit for only $2.75 if you visit my store: www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Marie-Cote

With love and appreciation,
Marie

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! I must warn you it can be addicting. There are so many wonderful ideas that teachers are willing to share. Have fun!

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the warm welcome! :) I'm already more into this whole blog world than I thought I would be! Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...